Friday, November 7, 2008

Evelyn's story

Evelyn works with Wrap up Africa to train our tailors. This is her story...


My name is Evelyn Akoko. I am Acholi by tribe, born in a small village in the war-torn Gulu district of northern Uganda.I was born into a poligamist family, my mother had nine children and my father had over 40 children to various mothers.
I grew up with many problems and challenges, despite this I have never given up on life.

After completing my O levels at high school I joined a technichal school. Before I could complete my typing course I was abducted by the Lords Resistance Army (LRA) rebels. They came to my village late one night, they killed two of my brothers and forced my younger brother and I into the bush. My younger brother died on the way. My mother was left behind badly beaten.
I
was fortunate to escape from the LRA with my life after serving them for a month. I made my way back home, but after losing my three brothers was never happy. My mother was also distraught and became weaker and weaker. I was eventually taken to a place where they keep those who have escaped from the bush. This is where I joined a tailoring class, I worked hard and became a good tailor.

After completing my tailoring course my elder sister and her husband died of AIDS. They left behind three orphans, at the age of only 15 I became responsible for these children as there was no-one else who could. Life became more difficult as I also had to care for my sick mother. Everything had fallen onto my shoulders and it wasn't easy. My mother died in 2000. After this I decided to get married so I would have a husband to help me look after the children, but things remained the same, he could not take care of the children.

We decided to move to Kampala, so I worked hard to put my sisters children in school and I left them with my only remaining brother in Gulu. My brothers wife however did not want the children and once again I had to care for them. My eldest neice became pregnant at high school, I now care for her child too.

My life has not been easy, but through the suffering God has been there, my comforter and my provider. He has given me a loving heart to give a mothers care to these orphans. So I decided to stop crying and open my eyes. I looked for a course to make a new life for me and my family.

Through a friend I found out about the Kibo Foundation, a local foundation offering exceptional training. From the time I joined Kibo my life began to change. I began to forget my problems and realise I can make a difference for myself and my community. Kibo took us to visit the Ugandan Child Cancer Foundation, here I saw people who were suffering more than I was and I wanted to help. These children really touched me and opened my eyes. I started volunteering with Wrap Up Africa and was soon offered a job. I now work teaching our tailoring trainees.

No comments: